Wednesday, June 11, 2014

SOME

Christian denominations are zombies!

Actually, I felt compelled to realize that denominations were dead over 20 years ago.

On a practical level, denominational labels are essentially meaningless.

On a cultural level, there are more differences within denominations than without...views on homosexuality and gay marriage are a good example. And doctrinal distinctions about modes of baptism and communion are outdated and irrelevant to most people. Indeed, denominations represent non-issues  to our contemporary society, which is the prime reason they are the walking dead! (Personally, I had felt the denominations would be dead and buried long before now,  but "survivors" have not figured out how to divide up the assets.)

In 1998, when I left the pastorate of First Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virgina, to escape the Southern Baptist "wars" and moved to Bennington Vermont, I joined a Congregational (UCC) church. After learning of my history, a "northern" (American) Baptist minister asked me, "What side were you on?" Without thinking, I responded, "I always thought I was on Jesus' side!"

Returning to Virginia in 2003, I participated in a Presbyterian church, and when we relocated to Raleigh in 2010, I embraced my liberal side and joined a Unitarian Universalist fellowship to celebrate their theological openness. But I soon learned that most members were neither "Unitarian" nor "Universalist."

More and more, I became disaffected with all denominational labels and came to embrace the SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious) position by default. And that led me to see myself as a "NONE" -- what the religious sociologists call those who claim no religious affiliation. But living with those labels of SBNR and NONE was just as frustrating to me as the denominational labels.

As I have continued on my spiritual journey, I have become drawn to those who are promoting what is known as "interspirtuality" -- such as Rabbi Rami Shapiro. Interspirituality recognizes that we all see things from our own unique perspective, and can learn from each other, without feeling the need to convert. In discussions with Janice (my life partner) we have come to choose the label "SOME" to describe ourselves, as we feel drawn to parts of many different spiritual traditions, but do not feel the necessity of embracing any in particular. We can identify with "SOME" of this one (e.g. Judaism) and "SOME" of thatone (e.g. Zen.) And I have come to ralize that this is exactly what I was doing when I started this blog, "Patchwork Quilt Spirituality." Yes, I "cherry-pick" SOME of what I want to accept and ignore the rest -- but isn't that what most of us do in reality?

I am not a NONE...I am a SOME!

PS: Janice has suggested that SOME could stand for "Sacred Oneness Manifests Everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment