Saturday, March 21, 2015

CAN SPIRITUALITY BE SHARED?

I recently watched a recorded episode of Super Soul Sunday in which Oprah interviewed the spiritual teacher Adyashanti...which changed my opinion of him.

About 10 years ago, a friend at Yogaville had given me two of his books (I don't remember the titles) but I just couldn't get into them., and I dismissed him. However, his chat with Oprah pulled me in, and I look forward to giving him another chance. In particular, their discussion of his book, Falling Into Grace, was quite fascinating.

But I am writing to emphasize a statement that was made in the program:
Adyashanti's spirituality cannot be labeled.

I believe this is true for all of us.

Just as a  definition of "spirituality" cannot be nailed down, neither can anyone's spirituality.

We can choose to follow a certain religion, and subscribe to its dogma , creeds and objective  teachings, but the way we interpret and process those concepts into our own spiritual practices and experience will always be unique.

Can religion be shared?
Perhaps to a large extent -- yes.
But then, again, look at all the religious conflict.
And not just within modern day Islam:  look at my former tribe -- the Baptists, with dozens and dozens of varieties, often still in conflict.

Perhaps religion and spirituality should be compared to sharing a meal.
We can sit at the same table and eat the same food.
But the way that food gets processed depends on our individual digestive process.
Are there spiritual equivalents to lactose intolerant? Gluten free? Diabetic?

As with Adyashanti, my spirituality cannot be labelled, either.
It is a patchwork quilt, one of a kind.
I'll bet yours is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment