Tuesday, May 9, 2017

WHAT DO YOU DO?

I saw a recent news segment that focused on how we handle social interactions.

It was noted that usually, conversations with a stranger begin with the question:
    
          "What do you do for a living?"  (or "How do you make a living?")

Again, the norm seems to focus on jobs or career -- and really tell us little or nothing about who the person really is.  What if the question asked:

          "How are you spending you life?"  (or "What gives meaning to your life?")

It seems to me that what we do to "make a living" and how we decide to "make a life" can involve quite different issues.

The deeper question ultimately becomes "WHO AM I?"

Some years ago, I was in a workshop with the "free-lance" philosopher Sam Keen.
He asked us to partner with someone in the group we did not know and introduce ourselves by making 5 "I AM" statements. After we finished this exchange, he then told us to now describe to our partner how we are not those 5 statements!

In my experience, we all struggle with the question, "WHO AM I?" and probably never reach a final answer. Even the great Apostle Paul could only answer with a paradox:

      I know that in me...dwelleth no good thing;
for to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I find not. (18)
    
     For the good that I would, I do not;
but the evil which I would not, that I do. (19)
                                                                               {Book of Romans, chapter 7 KJV}

Clearly, I need more patches on my spirituality quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment